China has declared an emergency after a three-year-old boy was confirmed to be infected by bubonic plague.
As per media reports, the child, from a remote village in Menghai county, Yunnan, was confirmed to be infected by the killer disease on Monday. Following this, started a level IV emergency response to prevent another epidemic following the Covid-19 outbreak.
Bubonic plague is a bacterial disease spread by fleas living on wild rodents and can kill an adult in less than 24 hours if not treated in time.
The case was initially suspected after three rats were found dead “for unknown reasons” in a village after which health authorities conducted a screening throughout the county.
“Infected rats are a key source of the disease, which also transmits to humans through bites from infected fleas,” an official was quoted as saying by Global Times.
Also, a 15-year-old boy had died in western Mongolia of bubonic plague after eating an infected marmot.